December 1, 2012

Amboy, CA

Amboy, CA 
Submitted and written by Denise Florez 

Settled in 1858, established in 1883, it was prolific from 1926 when Route 66 opened to 1973 when Interstate 40 opened and visitation decreased rapidly. The town’s most famous landmark is Roy’s Motel and CafĂ©.

Amboy has had few owners. In 1938 Roy Crowl opened "Roy's" as a service station on Route 66 in Amboy. Roy, together with his wife Velma, owned the town.  Buster Burris purchased Roy's from his father-in-law Roy Crowl and ran the town until 1995 when he sold it to investors. They mainly used it for photo shots and to host movie companies. After the two lost it in foreclosure, it was repossessed by Bessie Burris, Buster's widow. Bessie sold the property in February 2005 to Albert Okura, owner of the Juan Pollo restaurant chain, who offered $425,000 in cash and promised to preserve the town and reopen Roy's. The gas station is now open.

“The Ghost Town that Ain’t Dead Yet!”

Photos













Links
         



Thank you Denise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment